Ariel, i have some vegetarian questions.
so since i know you'll eventually read this blog, i'll put them here.
and i plan on asking my irl vegetarian friends too. =P
1. How did you decide to become a vegetarian?
2. Did you research before hand?
3. If you did, where/what did you research?
4. How did your family react to your choice?
5. Are they meat-eaters?
6. What is your favorite "vegetarian" meal?
7. How long have you been a vegetarian?
8. Is it difficult to not eat meat?
9. Was it difficult at first?
10. Do you not eat fish and chicken too?
11. Do you think you are healthier than meat-eaters?
12. How do you get all of your necessary nutrients?
13. How did you make the transition to your new diet?
14. Do you still eat dairy and eggs and such?
15. Do you look up new recipes so you're not eating the same thing?
16. Where would you look?
17. What else would you ask yourself if you were contemplating becoming a vegetarian?
1. I honestly don't remember (see number 7). Probably because animals are cute and helpless and don't deserve to be eaten.
ReplyDelete2. Nope.
3. N/A
4. They're all basically fine with it. It makes it a bit annoying to eat out together, though.
5. My dad and brother are both are. My mom isn't exactly vegetarian, like, she doesn't go out of her way to avoid meat. She generally doesn't eat red meat, though.
6. If you want to get fancy, there's something called Tofurky that's pretty good.
7. I didn't eat red meat in 3rd grade, and went full-out no meat in 4th grade. However, there is evidence that the first time I ate meat, I didn't like it. :o
8. Nahhh.
9. A bit. I used to LOVE turkey ham, but it's pretty easy to get over that sort of thing.
10. I get asked about the fish thing a lot. I consider both fish and poultry meat, and don't eat either.
11. In some ways, but not in others. Like, I don't eat the fatty meaty stuff, but I do tend to gravitate towards carbs more.
12. When I was younger, my mom made me drink Slim-Fast to get nutrients. Nowadays, I eat soy products and take vitamins and such.
13. My mom was a vegetarian for a while before I was born, so she knew what sort of things I could eat instead. It wasn't actually a huge transition.
14. Yes. I am not a vegan. I quite like ice cream.
15. Occasionally.
16. Bookstores. Kids' vegetarian cookbooks are actually really good.
17.The only other thing I'd say is make sure your friends know that it's just a personal thing. Sometimes people seem uncomfortable eating meat around me, but I really don't care what they eat, as long as I don't have to eat it.
If I think of any other tips, I'll let you know. =]
Thanks Ariel! This helped me a lot too. I've been considering not eating meat for a while but just couldn't while living at home since my mom needs red meat and such a lot because of her chemo and other medications. I've always love veggies more ad don't really like meat. I'm considering right now starting with no red meat and still eating chicken and/or fish then weening off of that as I get used to a diet of no meat. You're answers really helped me a lot. The only thing I'm nervous of is that I'll gravitate to morecarbs as well since I already do and I have diabetes running through both sides of my family lol. Hopefully in August I'll just jump into this new diet and stick with it =]
ReplyDelete